This is the shoe that I created out of clay using the instructables website, it was very frustrating and I did not much enjoy working with the clay but I gave it my best shot and the result, though unimpressive, was better than I had expected.
Today I made a replica of my own shoe using wire and a spot-welder.
I made several mistakes but feel like I learned a lot in the process.
This is my rough sketch-work to go beneath the painting of my still life study. It’s not 100% accurate with the photo though I am confident that any errors in this sketch can be amended when I paint over it.
This is a photograph of a memento mori still-life setup.
“A memento mori is an artwork designed to remind the viewer of their mortality and of the shortness and fragility of human life.” – Tate.org.uk
The phrase “memento mori” is Latin for “Remember, you must die.” I picked this particular subject matter because I find it far more interesting and meaningful than bowls of fruit, flowers or similar. I am going to try to recreate this setup by painting it in my own style using various different methods.
I painted this today using a photo reference I found online. I used mostly charcoal with a hard shading pencil for the shading, a hard tip pencil for the hair and some smaller details, along with some oil paint and a palette knife. This painting is both still life & figure related. I feel that overall, this is one of my stronger paintings.
In addition to the previous skulls, I pulled up a photo of a cat’s skull and painted this today.
I’m not as happy with this painting but I think that’s because it has a little bit more of a natural look to it, I really liked how shiny the Rhesus Macaque skull was. I’m hoping to collage three skulls together into one final piece.
After drawing from the skulls in the still life setup, I decided to try my hand at painting a different animal’s skull digitally.
This is a digital painting of the skull of a Rhesus Macaque, cast in purified bronze which is why it is so high in contrast and has very extreme highlights. I experimented with pulling focus by blurring certain parts of the image in an attempt to accentuate the frontal plane of the skull. I used charcoal, pencil, airbrush and several different blending brushes to achieve the finished result. I also painted the background on an overlay layer to add a little bit more texture to the skull.